Monday, July 7, 2014

How to avoid negativity in day to day life


During the last few days, I have been meeting up with some of my friends.... some really old ones whom I haven’t seen in ages. Though it was fun catching up, there was an uneasy feeling as I was unable to connect with some friends or some topics that were discussed. I have realized when girls meet, the discussion varies from weight issues, what not to order and what not to eat, someone is invariably on a diet (this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, the word diet should be deleted from the dictionary!), or someone makes you conscious of what you order. The second hot topic is generally gossiping about a friend who is either not in contact or has not turned up for the meet. This is completely harmless but it makes me think that maybe people do talk about me when I am not around and I am sure everyone has got this feeling sometime or the other. Another thing that disturbs me is when married friends start discussing their problems and want your opinion on the same. Since I am single, I am usually at crossroads whether to say anything or just listen. I completely admire those who have problems but choose to joke about the same (literally some of my friends can give a run to stand-up comedians).

Coming back to today’s topic on how to deal with negative or uneasiness that comes in. This is more of a gut feeling where you start feeling uncomfortable in a situation or what topic is going on or what your friends want to discuss. Over the years I have realized it is an internal feeling rather than related to the outside event. It is about how you are reacting to the outside situation. Take some time out (of course when alone preferably before you end the day) and ask yourself deep down what was that feeling. If you like writing, do it. Though I am a bit lazy about writing about my thoughts, it is usually the best cathartic for negative emotions. For example if conversation towards a healthy diet makes you uncomfortable, that is because you have been ignoring your need to turn towards a healthier diet or are taking too many liberties with food. Again food is directly related to emotions. So many times when we are discussing food, it is best to ask ourselves what are we covering up with the kind of food we are eating. When someone makes a personal remark on their marital status, work, children, lifestyle….always remember it is a projection of their thinking and has nothing to do with you. If you end up some negative feelings (irritation, anger, issues with self worth), bring yourself to peace by counting your blessings.  We all are where we are by the choice we make in life and not because where life brings us. Even not making a choice is actually choosing not to make a choice.

There are two mantras that I have started using recently to calm myself down and relook at any situation. One is by Gabrielle Bernstein that goes by “Peace lies within me.” I keep repeating this if I realize I am creating this sensation of uneasiness.

At times there are external factors such two people fighting or someone in afoul mood starts shouting or getting angry with you or starts telling you their problems. We also have this unique ability to jump in between discussions that are totally unrelated to us and put ourselves in middle of mess. During such situation I have started repeating this (mentally, unless you want people to call you crazy…not that I mind :-P) …”Not my circus, not my monkey” (from somewhere on the internet).
These two mantras have immensely helped me in the past few months and help me resolve issues that I may have created. I have realized that I more time as I have started getting less involved in other people’s problem (even if they are close as there is only so much you can do for others) and have drastically cut down on my negative thinking that would be on loop mode throughout the day.

Last and not the least, we always have 1 or 2 friends who help you see through the issue quickly (only if are willing to heal yourself) and are totally reliable to get you back in a positive, happy mood within minutes (yes timing is important on how fast you heal yourself from the situation). If you are one of those who goes on and on about your problems and see no change in your relations, then you need to break the loop mode and get out of the monotonous song playing in your head. For me, listening to music especially some fast paced numbers completely changes my mood and helps breaks the loop mode.

So its important to sit back and observe what stories your mind is telling you, break the thoughts and see your external environment change completely. That is if you are willing to change rather than expecting others to change.


No comments:

Post a Comment